I was stuck with the idea that a decaleur would be best, but there is no obvious way to attach one to the Moulton. But there is a center mounted boss on the headtube where the front rack mounts. I figured I should be able to mount something to that.
In these situations, my mind generally starts wandering to kitchen utensils. There are a lot of stainless things and plenty of shapes and sizes. So, I rode off to the Salvation Army to survey their product line.
Our neighborhood Salvation Army recently underwent a facelift. With a little clever reorganization, they were able to squeeze about 40% more product into the same space. They also tidied things up a bit, which usually corresponds to an elevation in prices. When it comes to junk stores, it seems there’s a direct correlation between dust and disorganization and finding treasure. In other words, clean and organized usually equals picked-over and pricey.
I walked through the door and straight to the kitchen utensils aisle. I’m blocked briefly as a brother and sister, maybe 5 and 7 respectively, settle a dispute over a tattered Shrek stuffed doll. Or maybe it was the Hulk. In less than a minute I spy this grilling multi-tool. It was a the long, tong-style set up with a spatula on one side (that includes a bottle opener!) and the more petite claw-like flat piece on the other side. The width of the smaller claw was pretty much a perfect fit for the space between the two back pockets on the Ironweed Orpington randorrific front bag.
Once I get it back to the workshop, I throw on some music and go to work on this thing with the hacksaw. First, I cut off the serrated end from the non-spatula side of this impressive multi-tool. Then a little more cutting, filing, drilling and bending. Now I needed something to work as a receiver for the 5mm posts on the decaleur bag mount.
I have several of these aluminum stand-off spacers; I can’t remember where they came from but they are perfect as the receiver for the decaleur. I tapped them to ¼”-28 because I had a couple of stainless bolts in that size lying around and fastened them to the newly fabricated piece. I bolted the homemade decaleur to the front rack boss and it all came together like a herd of sheep. Check out the pictures.
It’s a little weird and kind of ugly, but it functions just fine. It’s on my to-do list to make a few bags for the old Moulton “F” frame bikes. It’s not on the top of my list, but it's on my list. Until that happens, I can use this contraption and it’ll work just fine.